A Memorial of Several Aggrievances & Oppressions of his Majesty’s Subjects in the Colony of New York in America, 1750
- When the enemies of our country brought our
country to its knees through Catholic supremacy & arbitrary government, God
put our King George on the throne.
- We hope that this will allow our country, including the colony of New York the ability to be relieved from oppressive government.
- The governor, commissioners, council took the
legislative power & the people lived by their rules until Gov. Dungan took
- An assembly was called where privilege was declared to be the People’s Right.
- The Act of Assembly that established the number of representatives to the various divisions of territories in the colony.
- However, people outside of these divisions but still in the colony aren’t represented & any act of government in their name is not legitimate insofar as being representative of their will.
- This extends to taxation. Most of the taxes being collected by the colony are from areas that aren’t actually represented in the colony’s legislature.
- Under-representation in the assembly allows some people more say in government than others.
- The oppression that people face here in New York is largely down to the lack of representation in the Assembly. If this were corrected, the people would be happier & wouldn’t complain as much.