The Iliad by Homer – Book 20
- Jove called a meeting of the Gods
- All right. I’m not participating in this battle anymore. Do whatever you like. Just a warning
- Achilles is pissed off and won’t stop until Hector’s dead and he’ll probably destroy Troy.
- The gods chose sides
- For the Greeks – Juno, Minerva, Neptune, Mercury and Vulcan
- For the Trojans – Mars, Apollo, Diana, Leto, Xanthus and Venus
- The gods were ready to join the fight now that there were no restrictions from Jove.
- Achilles had one thing in his mind – a fight with Hector
- However, Apollo urged Aeneas to fight Achilles, convincing him:
- Remember that your mother, Venus is dearer to Jove than Achilles’s mother, Thetis. Don’t
be afraid of him and all his big talk.
- Juno warned Neptune about this:
- Apollo’s put it in Aeneas’s mind to fight Achilles. I don’t like the look of it. Go down and
make sure things are all right.
- Neptune warned her that it’s probably not a good idea for gods to get involved in the fight directly.
- Aeneas and Achilles approached each other.
- Achilles spoke:
- Why are you fighting? You know Priam won’t thank you for this. Also, I handed you your ass
before in battle. Do you want some more?
- Aeneas responded:
- Don’t think I’m going to fall for that shit. I know who you are but if we must know more about
each other’s family tree before the fight, here’s mine…
- We can insult each other until we are both blue in the face but that won’t get us anywhere.
Let’s just fight.
- Aeneas threw his spear and just bounced off of Achilles’s special shield
- Achilles threw his spear and it went through Aeneas’s shield but missing Aeneas himself. As Achilles
was about to pounce, Aeneas grabbed a rock… Neptune stepped in and said
- Poor Aeneas, you’re not going to last in this battle. Apollo’s not going to help you. We can
take you away from this because you’ve got no chance.
- Juno said to Neptune:
- Hey, we’re not trying to save Trojans…
- Neptune blinded Achilles and took Aeneas away from the fight and spoke to him:
- What idiot convinced you to fight Achilles? You might be a great warrior but you can’t handle
- Achilles snapped out of the saze and wondered what happened. He realized that Aeneas must be protected
by a god or 2.
- Achilles rallied the Greeks – Don’t worry about Aeneas. We’ll get the Trojans. They’re panicking.
- Hector did the same – Don’t let Achilles scare you. He’s all talk.
- In the fight, Apollo spoke to Hector:
- Go challenge Achilles in single combat
- Hector withdrew from combat, afraid of what Apollo had asked him to do. In the meantime, Achilles went
on a killing spree on his way to find Hector.
- Achilles chased Hector’s brother, Polydorus – the youngest of Priam’s sons. Polydorus was fast but not
fast enough to escape death at the hands of Achilles.
- Hector saw this and began to cry. He got his spear and made for Achilles. Achilles approached him and
- I’m not afraid of your words. I know you are a greater fighter than me but this is in the
hands of the gods.
- Hector threw his spear but Minerva moved it away. Achilles tried to attack Hector but Apollo stopped
him. Achilles decided this fight was going nowhere.
- Achilles killed a few other Trojans while leaving Hector for later.