Response to the Tobacco Act, 1729
- We, the representatives of the Colony of Virginia, appreciate the support in the form of stabilizing the Tobacco Farming Industry that the government has provided.
- Some farmers have suffered as a consequence of the passage of this act, & as a result some members of the House have been voted out of office.
- But the absolutely dreadful state of the Tobacco industry makes it necessary that the government do something about the matter.
- The fraud committing has cause the price of the crop to drop like a rock & something had to be done about it.
- Unfortunately, there has been some unrest by in some of the areas more affected by the passage of this act.
- Thank God you’ve handled those well & they don’t seem to be too much of a problem anymore.
- We are willing to give you all the tools you need to make this act revive the Virginia Tobacco industry. Many other industries are dependent on its success, as well.