The Secretary of Virginia Reports of Self-Regulation Without Benefit of Legislation, 8 May 1682
- Bad news, everyone, what’s been going on down in Gloucester County is putting everyone in harm’s way.
- They pretty much have decided that they won’t be planting any tobacco this year.
- The “lawmen” have been going around from plantation to plantation cutting up the plants & if the farmers don’t like it, too bad.
- This had been going on for 3 days until the Lieutenant Governor was made aware. The courts sent Colonel Kemp there to put it to an end.
- He & his men caught up with a group of 22 of these men & brought them in for destroying the plants.
- 2 of the men have been charged & the other men were released on the promise that they’d behave from then on.
- I hope that this has solved the problem & no further crop destruction occurs.
- Unfortunately, unless we get some reassurance that this sort of thing won’t happen anymore, the planters won’t bother replanting or continuing farming in general.