Bacon’s Declaration in the Name of the People, 30 July 1676
- 1 – Taxes have been raised in the name of “Public works” but really have had no other result than advancing private fortunes. None of this money has actually gone to advance trade or provide protection of Virginia
- 2 – The Magistrates of Justice have been severely abused by placing judges based on favoritism rather than competence
- 3 – The government has wronged royal prerogative & interest by assuming the beaver trade & exploited his loyal subjects here
- 4 – The government has protected, favored, emboldened Indians against the colonies by not providing adequate protection against invasions, murders & robberies
- 5 – Just when our army was on the track of the Indians who’d been murdering, burning & stealing, the governor sent it back. This has only served to embolden the enemy
- 6 – When the people complained to the governor & assembly & were ignored. They had to form their own army to deal with the Indians
- 7 – The governor has established a commission without consulting the people about it. He’s used the commission to effect a civil war.
- 8 – The government has used all of its resources
policing its own people instead of devoting a lot of them to fighting hostile
Indians on the borders
- We accuse the governor, William Berkeley, of all of these treason actions against the people & the King’s interests in Virginia. He is responsible for a lot of death at his own troops’ hands & due to neglect in fighting the Indians.
- We demand that Berkeley surrender himself to be tried.
- We will consider anyone aiding & abetting him & his forces also to be traitors